On Wednesday Nights, ABBA Rocked the Ice Rink

Lately I have rediscovered a winter sport: ice skating. It is also a re-discovery of my childhood in South Bend. My first outing was with my parents and sister at Howard Park when I was three years old. My sister and I took a liking to ice skating, and my parents signed us up for lessons at the Joyce Center at the University of Notre Dame. The weekly Wednesday night lessons, including bruised knees, various skating outfits and the occasional skating exhibitions occurred for ten years.

Besides watching the Zamboni driver clean the ice, doing endless crossovers around the rink, and smell of the fresh ice, I associate ice skating with songs of ABBA blaring over the speakers. Every time I hear Dancing Queen or Take a Chance on Me, the memories take me back to those Wednesday nights.

Now I could technically download ABBA on an iPod or MP3 player, take to the ice, and relive the memories.

Love,
Lolo

Comments

Anonymous said…
harro rrorro.

ZAMBONI!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
harro rrorro,

don't forget, "Send in the Clowns," and "I Will Survive"....also ACC standards...
Kristen said…
The only ice skating I ever did was on the pond behind our house and I remember very sore ankles afterward. However, roller skating was a musical event. Any time I hear "Another One Bites the Dust" or "Celebration" I can practically smell the rental skates!
Kaiju said…
It's really strange how music and memory work. I probably only heard it once there, but the song I most associate with roller skating is Don Hendley's "Dirty Laundry" -- maybe because of the "roller rink" electric organ bit.

Popular Posts