Evening in Indy

I'm writing from the lobby at the IUPUI hotel with Steve. He's going to B&N to get a new crossword puzzle book for Dad. Dad and I have almost filled an entire book full of puzzles in the hospital room. It's amusing how we fill in crosswords. I check off the numbers after I discover the word. Dad does not. Dad will sometime fill in fake words to fill it in to make it fit. (And admittedly, I do the same thing until I find out the right word.) That's why I now do crosswords in pencil with a large eraser. I asked Steve on one of the crosswords, "Could a female chicken be considered a poultra (instead of poultry)?" Steve looked amused as he replied, "That would be a hen." Three letters, one-two-three. Yup. He's right. In times like this, you have to maintain your sense of humor--and your humility. Mom is stable. Fighting off pneumonia as a nice side effect of the surgery. Not that she doesn't have enough to fight off. But she is expected and WILL recover. She's strong. We spent six hours with her today and more tomorrow until Dad comes back up. It's very surreal to see her this way. But she is holding her own.

Comments

Undeadhost said…
I recommend tea. It makes everything better.

And Starbucks is doing $2 teas after 2pm. I'm not big on the corporateness, but I liked their teas before they were owned by Starupchucks.
neverever said…
You are a great daughter to be there for her and your Dad. She will pull thru!
Anonymous said…
Keep positive!Sending you lots of love from the library! Theresa
Windy said…
Thank you for your up-beat attitude and hopefulness...I prayed for your mom last evening and send her lots of love and strength...Last year she wanted to make it thru the summer at Gravel lake...What is her goal now?
When my cousin was fighting her battle with cancer I kept telling her she would dance at her son's wedding...(He wasn't thru college yet...
It is so good that you can be there and help your Dad...Keep an eye on him since this has worn him out too...
YOur mom has STRENGTH and a great sens of humor...I continue to have her in my thoughts and prayers and send her my best..Hugs, Doris

Popular Posts