Home

This morning, Mom is home and resting. Yesterday was surreal. We waited a long day to make sure we could transport Mom home via ambulance. We left the hospital around 4:00 p.m. Some family left early to get the house ready and to meet the Hospice nurses there. Dad and I stayed behind, he drove the car and I rode in the ambulance with Mom. It was neat because all four of us in the ambulance were women. It was GIRL POWER. And the EMTs were amazing. In fact,we formed a friendship on the way from Indianapolis to Northern Indiana. I have never ridden in an ambulance before. And the kindly EMTs let me sit in the back so I could be with Mom the entire time. And as sad as the whole situation is, it was the most beautiful, precious time we were able to spend together. Outside the windows in the back there was a beautiful sunset that faded into the background. It was kind of like the city's way of saying goodbye to us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Let mom know that we are all thinking about her and praying for her. She is such a strong woman and I know you are proud to call her mom.

I love you and I am praying for you too.

Jenn
Windy said…
Dear Lori and family,
I am with you in spirit as you comfort your mom...It is so good that you all are able to do so much with and for her...Remember to talk to her even if she seems to not be able to respond...she can hear you and will be comforted by you kind reassuring words of support and love.... Thoughts and prayers are with you all, Doris
BreathinSteven said…
Hey You...

Everyone seemed to be preparing us for the worst -- that she looked awful and wasn't herself...

She didn't -- she was still Auntie Gloria -- she is still beautiful... She has always been full of love, and surrounded by love... That will never, ever change...

I wish this wasn't happening -- but it is... And there's nothing left to do except to be with her... She knows how much all of you love her -- she knows how much all of us love her...

And she's part of you, Lori -- and everywhere you are, there she'll be...

Love, Steve (& Goober...)
Marci Ullery said…
Oh Lori, this is SUCH a tender and touching posting! It brings so much back to me; you are doing it all the RIGHT way! When I reflect back -- I was SO 'way too young to fully grasp the importance of dealing with the situation AS IS instead of deep in denial...what a profound experience it is to relate SO AUTHENTICALLY. And you are right -- each of these moments is a precious gift. Most important; you are giving your mom the most important gift of all; the gift of allowing her to leave you when she needs to...I am praying for you all. Marci

Popular Posts