Chicagoland Christmas

Steve and I returned home from Chicago around 5:00 p.m. this evening. We had a nice time despite the heaviness in our hearts. Here are the highlights of the trip... Wednesday We packed and left for Chi-town around 3:00 p.m. Luckily, the weather cleared so we travelled on decent roads. We were grateful and surprised with the light traffic. Steve and I arrived at the entrace to the Sheridan Towers around 5:30 p.m., Steve parked the car, I called Dad (who was already at the hotel) and we all met in the lobby to carry our luggage upstairs. Our room was on the 18th floor with a spectacular view of the cityscape, the Chicago River, and the Lake. After we left our stuff in the hotel room, Dad, Steve, and I ventured downstairs for a light appetizer in a venue called the Java Cafe. The bar/cafe was decorated in a modern style with large, comfortable chairs. After appetizers, Steve and I had to rush upstairs to get dressed for Dad's birthday dinner at Shula's, which is also located in the hotel. We met my sister and brother-in-law in the lobby and then we enjoyed a nice dinner. Shula's is definitely a guy-oriented restaurant: the steak menu is etched on a football. Also, my brother-on-law received a certificate for finishing a 48 oz steak! Amazing. After dinner, we ventured up to the hotel room and Dad opened his birthday gifts. (We gave him a Wii with games). And after chatting, everyone left for the evening. I couldn't sleep, so I finished a book and started another one. It rained all night. I slept in late. Thursday We checked out and met up with Dad at my sister and brother-in-law's place for Christmas brunch. They provided a wonderful spread of cheese, crackers, an egg souffle, pomegrate seeds, and fruit. Before brunch, we opened gifts. After a couple of hours, we left for home. It was a nice time and great hospitality. I think my New Year's resolution will be to turn on the oven and the stove and learn how to cook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Friend

Insomnia and New Career

Midnight Moonlight July Posting