Second Book of 2011

I am starting out slowly, but will pick up speed and read more as the year progresses. I perused my second book of 2011: The 100 Best African-American Poems. The book is edited by Nikki Giovanni, who is a poet, writer, and a University Distinguished professor at Virginia Tech. Here is my review that I posted on Goodreads: In my opinion, Nikki Giovanni represents one of the best modern poets of the 20th and 21st centuries. So when she edits or publishes a book of poems, I pick up a copy and peruse the content. She includes poetry with an eclectic blend of beloved poets such as Gwendolyn Brooks, Lucille Clifton, Langston Hughes, and Richard Wright. And of course, Nikki Giovanni includes a sampling of her own poems to delight avid fans like me. Another bonus with this book is that there is a companion CD featuring readings by Nikki Giovanni and other poets.

Comments

Popular Posts