Orange: Emancipation from a Hatred of a Color of the Sun

Sunset, LCS 2011
I just wrote an essay entitled Orange: Emancipation from a Hatred of a Color of the Sun for my stylistics course. It was cathartic. Here is the first paragraph: Orange: Emancipation from a Hatred of a Color of the Sun If you are confused, check with the sun Carry a compass to help you along, Your feet are going to be on the ground Your head is there to move you around... --REM, “Stand” Orange is a color of the sun, the color of a citrus fruit from a tree, and a color of a shoe that was stolen from me in a cruel keep-away game in middle school in the early 1980s. Orange is the color of the last scrawny pumpkin alone and surviving in the pumpkin patch, the colorful combination of primary colors: red; the color of passion and pain, and yellow; the color of joy and jaundice; a colorful blend of the red stoplight and the yellow caution light that proved to be directionless in a scarred musical memory—one of many, a plethora, and in the pain of the memory here I stand. I also wrote lyrics based on the essay and it needs to be turned into a song. Here are the lyrics: Orange: Emancipation from a Hatred of the Color of the Sun Lyrics by Lori Caskey Sigety -2012 Orange is… Eh)-manci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun emanci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun orange you happy I’ve become orange you happy I’ve become emancipated from a hatred of a color of the sun Orange is (a) color of a citrus fruit that tastes so sweet (a) color of hightop shoe stolen off my feet (a) color of a little pumpkin left in the patch (a) color of keep-away-game from bully-bully trash (Eh)-manci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun emanci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun orange you happy I’ve become orange you happy I’ve become emancipated from a hatred of a color of the sun Go west, go north, go east, go south Go west, go north, go east, go south Her percussive light was green But why the boys and men so mean Orange you happy happy happy we’re not so mean? (Eh)-manci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun emanci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun orange you happy I’ve become orange you happy I’ve become emancipated from a hatred of a color of the sun No boy can steal my shoe, No man can stifle my sound, No one can steal my song, As I play percussion LOUD! (Eh)-manci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun emanci-pation from a hatred of a color of the sun orange you happy I’ve become orange you happy I’ve become emancipated from a hatred of a color of the sun!

Comments

Popular Posts