Adventures With Greenie: No Longer the Hillybilly Honda

I finally got around to taking Greenie the Honda Civic to the car hospital to get the muffler replaced. (Yes, I procrastinated.)  She started making loud noises about three weeks ago. An orange icon of a muffler on the left hand side of the dashboard came on for the first time, indicating that something was wrong. Great. So I take her in for the 75,000 mile checkup. (The old girl's over 80,000 miles now. I plan on keeping her well over 100,000 miles. She's been the inspiration of a lot of interesting adventures.) We haven't had a car payment in years, so I won't complain about an occasional shell out of cash to keep Greenie going strong.

Something amusing occurred last week. I needed to have hairapy before presenting at conferences and for school. There was a special on keratin treatment for hair, so I had that with my usual tinsel-covering hairapy. The only catch with keratin treatment is that hair cannot get wet for eight hours. Well, I was going to Indiana University to present my essay that night. It was April 30, and true to the nature of spring, we experienced showers. In fact, it was a downpour. So, the staff had someone walk me out to my car with an umbrella, and I had to tuck my hair into a shower cap.

So I'm driving home in the rain with a loud sputtering car and my hair tucked in a shower cap. All I needed to do was black out all my teeth, install a gun rack, play dueling banjo music on my CD player, and I would fit the perfect reneck profile. Classy. Thank goodness it was a short drive home and visibility wasn't the best. However, it was a humbling -- and now amusing -- moment.

Now my tresses are colored and calmed and my car is fixed and quiet. But the dueling banjos continue to resonate in my head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insomnia and New Career

The Bun is Back! The First Day

Hello, Birthday, and the Pumpkinvine