Anxiety, Depression, and Poetry


As you are reading this blog, I hope you are doing well. It's okay, though, if you're not. You are not alone. I am one of the millions of people who deal with--and suffer from--both anxiety and depression, many times in tandem. There is no shame in having a mental illness! I'm so over the stigma. If you are suffering from anxiety and/or depression, tell someone. Confide in someone who is safe and non-judgmental. Please don't suffer alone. There is light--and there is always hope, even if it seems to be hopeless. You deserve it.

Both anxiety and depression reared its ugly head a couple weeks ago, and its remnants continue to lurk in the shadows. Knowing what I have and how to handle it is half the battle. Half of the battle is showing up-- waking up, getting out of bed, and moving forward, no matter how difficult it can be.

Steve sent me a link today on how to deal with anxiety and depression. It comforted me, and I hope it will comfort you as well. Please feel free to share.

https://wehaveapples.wordpress.com/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-a-person-with-mental-illness/

I leave you with a ghostly poem, and no, I am not blogging drunk. ;)

why shy blight

i ran out of Klonopin;
the alcohol’s run dry
i can’t stand the anxiety
i don’t know

why

i can’t be normal
i can’t be content
my mind’s always spinning;
my body’s always spent.

i slumber after panic
i slumber after cry
i imbibe another spirit
to take away the

shy

liquid courage
exorcise the wights
just as strong as skeletons
who exemplify the

blights.

lori caskey-sigety
october 2015











Comments

Popular Posts