One Billion Rising and Michiana Monologues





February was not only cold, but it was warm as well. My body was freezing, but my heart was momentarily warm.I participated in my first ever flash mob in South Bend. Eve Ensler, the playwright who wrote the famous Vagina Monologues, also started a movement called "One Billion Rising" to bring awareness around the world about domestic assault and violence towards females. Brave souls came out in the frigid weather and danced to Aretha Franklin's "Respect". I was a little nervous with the crowds, but soon relaxed and enjoyed the moment.


(Logo courtesy of the Michiana Monologues)

Last night, A. and I went to the Michiana Monologues . They are monologues written by women all over the community; the performers are not the authors of the pieces. We laughed; we cried. Both of these events brought the darkness of domestic violence into the light, and all the money is donated to women's shelters and programs in the Michiana area.

Comments

Popular Posts