Geeking out with technology, coffee talk, rain on the beach, and rock on!

Sunday I have this habit of checking my email often. It's like opening the mailbox on a Sunday hoping fun mail will magically appear or opening the fridge to see if food mysteriously presents itself. I do have a mysterious science experiment or two growing in the back corner of the fridge, but other than that, nothing new or exciting. Time to do a little fridge cleaning. Anyhoo, after geeking out on the email (no messages!) and e-news, it's time to get ready and dressed for a fun excursion with Mom and Dad Sigety. (We're celebrating my father-in-law's birthday.) Steve and Kumi chauffeur us to St. Joe, Michigan, to this Big Boy restaurant that has fabulous dessert. I was worried that I didn't see the Big Boy statue right away, but I was not to be disappointed to see him lurking by the front door, donned in red- and -white checkered outfit, Elvis-style hair, and burger raised over his head. I wonder if his arm ever got tired? Darn, I forgot my camera! Big Boy brings up a lot of memories: My grandparents taking us out for breakfast in Michigan, my sister's lovely polyester brown uniform (she worked at a local Big Boy restaurant during the summers between college semesters) and the Austin Powers movies. We had a lovely lunch and the dessert was wonderful--hot fudge ice cream cake. Steve and I split one. Mmm. Jeans are getting a little snug. Will need restaurant dress soon. I had the crazy idea of going to Wako Beach and picking up rocks off the beach (for personal use in our gardens, not to sell on E-bay). It wasn't so crazy except for the fact it was raining and foggy on the beach. It was gorgeous...a mix of grey skies, blue water,and white fog. Oh, I was annoyed I forgot my camera! Dad Sigety said something really cool--and I'm paraphrasing--he said that "if you wait until the weather is perfect to do what you want, you won't do it. Let's go have fun." So we packed our towels and umbrellas, and crossed the sandy beach to the shore. We saw a flock of seagulls (yes, like the retro 80's band) hanging out on our way. After I went through my usually corny routine "This beach rocks! Rock on! Hey, it's a rock group (after seeing a cluster of rocks on the shore). We're getting a rocky start." And on and on... we picked cool shades of rocks for the yard. I wished I would have focused on remembering the kind of rocks in Geology class instead of perfecting my professor's Bronx accent. We brought home rocks (they are drying in my bathroom), a bit of sand in my Nike shoes, and a fond memory. My father-in-law is now addicted to rock collecting. Good night!

Comments

usuallyemily said…
thanks for blogging, lolo. i just read your most recent. and you're right about the weather! waiting to do anything you want to do really just puts it off! there are so many things scott and i want to do here around michigan and indiana and it's frustrating cuz we've just been so busy while we've lived here. we were just reminiscing about our life before i started school and before he started really dissertating... soon it will return... love, me
Anonymous said…
Lolo I have loved reading your blogs since the time before blogging. They always pick me up and make me laugh, my sister loves to read yarner blogs, I think I will email her your address so that she can now read your blogs! Keep up the good work and Lots of love. Jenn with PartyLite