Missing Monday Cop Moustache

(Zorak the Praying Mantis LCS & SJS 2008)
It's been a Monday. I woke up wistfully, perhaps from the letdown of the exciting weekend. Open Book was a great event. (I'm still chomping at the bit to see how many people attended that day.) The two parties afterwards were great, too. And then it was good to see my in-laws and their darling home and their absolutely gorgeous garden on Sunday. I went to an angel store this morning and bought a necklace. (I'll have to review and post the store on my California friend's online business.) I gave my other necklace away to a former employee as a going-away gift to give her protection on her journey. It seemed to cheer me up a bit. Libraryland was an uneventful day, so I worked on two reports, made up thank-you swag for my volunteers for RetroFest and Open Book, and tied up other odds and ends. We closed up shop at 8p.m. and headed home. My security officer is very kind. He follows me almost home to make sure I am safe. Well, apparently, I made a Hoosier rolling stop at a stop sign before going through the green stoplight. I honestly thought I stopped. Admittedly, my mind was on my parents and their trip to Indy tomorrow for Mom's chemo. And my security officer behind me said I did stop. Anyway, I am driving and see the dreaded flashing lights on my rear mirror. I am thinking my plates are updated. I was not speeding. I have no idea why I am being pulled over. I am tired. And humiliated. I put my hands on top of the wheel and lower the window. A tall, lanky officer approaches Greenie. He is very rude. He asks me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said no. He lectured me about the stop sign. He asked me why I didn't stop. I told him the truth, that I was thinking about my mother who has cancer and was going out of town to have chemo tomorrow. Then the cop interrogates me why there is a car following me. I told him it was my security officer and he was following me to make sure I arrived safely home. He told me in a hostile tone that he was going to tell him to pull away and that he didn't feel comfortable with him sitting behind. I didn't say anything. And dammit, I started to cry. Big, authentic tears. I give him my insurance information. He seemed to take forever. I just wanted to go home. I felt like a criminal. He gave me back my information with a warning citation and proceeds to lecture me on not stopping at a stop sign. (OKAY, I GET IT! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!) Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Yes, sir. And the cop pulls away. And among my tears, I had a humorous thought: he was missing his cop moustache. Like Scarecrow missing his brains, the Tin Woodsman missing his heart, Mr. Olive Street Cop missing his moustache. I love and respect officers, don't get me wrong. I just didn't love this one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello Lori,
Sorry to hear about the rude cop and your stressful moment, but I'm glad you were able to find sense of humor in the situation. Keep that bright smile of yours and thanks for the necklace.. Hope your week is great!!
Jenn said…
Lolo

What *&$!@ and a few other choice words that I wanted to use. Some people don't have anything better to do than "bother" other people. I guess we can only hope that he was just having a bad day, I mean maybe that morning he accidently shaved part of his moustache and therefore had to shave the whole thing, one can hope!

Love you and saying prayers for Gloria!!!

Jenn
Anonymous said…
It is too bad that all of the crime going on around town it that he wasted everyone's time on a sweet librarian making a questionable rolling stop. I know how you feel though. Sometimes when you have so much stress in your life it just takes one small incident like that to leave you in tears. Glad you were able to turn the bad situation into a humorous story. -Theresa
Anonymous said…
I like your comment about liking cops, just not this one and the photo of the praying mantis was cool. -mj Hey, visit my web site to see my photography: http://mkwj.spaces.live.com/

Popular Posts