Mad Dogs and Irishmen: Part One

I am stoked (appropriate word to warm up a frosty day) to be performing with my band in January 2010. Now we have a name for our band--Mad Dogs and Irishmen. My friends and family are asking me how I became a member of this unique ensemble. Instead of repeating the same (or similar) response, I thought this would be an easier forum to share this exciting(!) journey with you. So, here goes... Until recently, many people do not know that I am a musician. It's just something I don't talk about a lot until now with new gigs lined up in 2010. I started playing drums and percussion at the age of 10. I took my first lesson at 11, and took private lessons until the age of 17. I was in the youth symphony, competed in band, ensemble, and individual competitions, survived marching band, and played trapset for the Chamber Choir (The wardrobe was tricky, since I couldn't wear a dress). I took a couple of years off to attend Holy Cross College, and after a disastrous audition for the Notre Dame Marching Band (they put me on bells! BELLS! Snare was my forte). After my extreme disappointment, I stopped playing. Put the drums away. And honestly, I thought for good. I turned my focus to my academics and managed to bring my GPA high enough to transfer to a four-year college (now Holy Cross is a four-year college, which is great). When I transferred to Manchester College at the age of 20, the band director (John Beery) discovered me and asked me to try out (between you and me, I didn't want to). But I did. And I'm so glad I did. I was accepted. I ended up playing in concert band and going on tour around and out of state. And then I was part of the first ever all-female jazz rhythm section at Manchester College. And I discovered blues, jazz, and swing music. Louie Armstrong, Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, George and Ira Gershwin, Howlin' Wolf, just to name a few... I discovered drum brushes. And I discovered that I loved jazz. And I was a jazz drummer! More to be continued in the next posting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insomnia and New Career

The Bun is Back! The First Day

Hello, Birthday, and the Pumpkinvine