Mad Dogs and Irishmen: Part Two

After graduation, I started taking lessons from Mary Lynn Norman again. And we had some paying gigs again, church gigs, a gig playing with a concert band at the former Scottsdale Mall, and the Press Club Players, which was the coolest gig of all-- we roasted local celebrities, had all the free beer and Polish food I wanted, and I was paid nicely!!! I loved that gig and playing with the piano player and would still be doing it today, but the group disbanded in the mid-1990's. I also played briefly with a local group called The Company in the mid-1990's. I filled in at the last minute for my teacher (who was then diagnosed with lung cancer) and was treated (and compensated) fairly. And people commended on my skills as a performer. Then after I inherited the gig, suddenly I was not performing up to their standards. The manager and certain members of the group did not treat me kindly. In fact, I was replaced with a 17-year-old boy. And this kid had the audacity to move my drums. My trapkit is worth a lot of money. And it's my property. So I raised hell with the manager, told her off, moved my drums, and left. I met and started playing with a folk musician named Evie in the 1990's. She is an amazing lyricist, poet, singer, and instrumentalist. We played together in 1998-2002. We hit the coffee shops, IUSB performances, and played in Chicago (Ravenswood). Through Evie I met other musicians (Anne O'Meara, Susan Urban, and Bryan Edington). We stopped playing together when I started graduate school and working full time. I will always be grateful to her for this experience. I was able to use music in the library--bringing percussion instruments for story hours, performing shows for families and bringing in percussion groups such as RhythmWorks! I did perform music in a church for over a year... I won't revisit that experience but am grateful for Dave and Kris for encouraging me to play. One more blog posting to finish this story...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Friend

Insomnia and New Career

Midnight Moonlight July Posting