Ephemeral

Instead of an action verb, I chose a noun today. As you probably know, a noun is defined as a person, place, thing, or idea. Today is not an action day. For me, today is a day of introspective thinking and reflection. Therefore, today is a day I do something a little differently. According to merriam-webster.com, ephemeral may be used as either a noun or an adjective. Ephemeral can technically be used as an adverb, but I encourage students to use strong verbs. I love the pizza metaphor when explaining parts of speech to my classes. Use adjectives and adverbs sparingly, like your favorite pizza toppings. If you sprinkle too much, the toppings ruin the flavor of the pizza (or your sentence). Anyway, back to my word of the day. Ephemeral. The merriam-webster.com website defines ephemeral as "lasting one day only" or "lasting a very short time." Life is ephemeral. My mother's passing two years ago today drives this point Home. The lesson learned is that while life is ephemeral, love is not. Love is eternal. Life is ephemeral, love is eternal. Life is ephemeral, love never dies. As long as we are love and we have love, we will never truly die. Life is ephemeral; love is eternal. This thought comforts me.

Comments

Popular Posts