Defining Poetry

April 1 commences National Poetry Month and it's no joke.:)I enjoy poetry and words so much, but you know that about me already. How about you? Do you like poetry? Have you ever tried to write a poem? What is poetry? I wanted a better definition, so I perused online. Robert Frost is one of my inspirations. and I found the following quoted verbatim from this URL: http://www.qcc.mass.edu/booth/102/poetry/poetry.html Robert Frost (1874-1963) "A poem begins with a lump in the throat, a home-sickness or a love-sickness. It is a reaching-out toward expression; an effort to find fulfillment. A complete poem is one where the emotion has found its thought and the thought has found the words." First published in Robert Frost: The Man and His Work. New York: Henry Holt, 1923. I thought this was beautiful. I was first introduced to Robert Frost (his poems, not him) in 1991. He remains one of my greatest influences, especially with meter and nature. Dictionary.com also provides several definitions of poetry and here they are (verbatim): noun 1. the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts. 2.literary work in metrical form; verse. 3.prose with poetic qualities. 4.poetic qualities however manifested: the poetry of simple acts and things. 5.poetic spirit or feeling: The pianist played the prelude with poetry. 6.something suggestive of or likened to poetry: the pure poetry of a beautiful view on a clear day. I cannot choose which definition I like the most;I like all the definitions. I also like the fact that "poetess" is also used, although it is less common than poet. Poetess. I like how it sounds. Perhaps in a future poetry post I will talk about "the poetess."

Comments

Dawg said…
"Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash."

- Leonard Cohen

Popular Posts