Denouement

According to the Free Dictionary.com, denouement is a French term meaning "resolution" or "outcome". For the end of spring and the commencement of summer, denouement fits perfectly. It's been intense. It's the first time since I have been teaching that I had to permanently remove students from the classroom. This month tested my resilience to finish the month and my desire to keep instructing. My heart ached for the lovely people remaining the room who desired to learn and explore. And we did. My students inspired me to return to the classroom and guide them to explore the beauty and wonders of literature. We covered the beginnings of literature and talked about the gods and goddesses in Greek mythology. We created poetry and stories from flowers (and their origins) I brought in from my garden. We discussed Bram Stoker's Dracula and watched Nosferatu. On the last day of class, after the final test, my students brought in a homemade potluck dinner, a bouquet of flowers, a card, and various swag as appreciation. It touched my heart and my teaching spirit. I was humbled and overwhelmed by the gratitude and love that poured out that evening. I have to add that this month resembled the literature we explored. We had characters, conflicts, dialogue, drama, love, plot, and symbolism. I was relieved that on the last day of class, everything was tied up like a the proverbial little bow. It was a perfect night and a denouement. I will continue teaching. However, like an intense book, I will need to place it aside for awhile, and return to it after a well-deserved month off.

Comments

Unknown said…
Lori, Beautiful post and you have arrived. Congratulations and outstanding job for last semester. The love of teaching is what will make the not so great times go away and the good times keep you going. I get such a rush knowing my students have learned something from me. I used to show the movie Nosferatu too!
Great movie :) love and (((hugs))) xo
Unknown said…
Congratulations for a successful semester Lori! The love of teaching is the best rush in the world and I'm so glad you're having a great time.
Lovely post my dear! love and ((hugs))
xo
Kaiju said…
It was great fun talking about Bram Stoker, Dracula and Nosferatu with your students!
Lori said…
Thank you, Cathi! I appreciate your kind words so much! xoxo!

Popular Posts