Happy New Year: Part One

Happy New Year! Steve and I celebrated with friends. Because hello-idays can be intense for this sensitive soul, I was tempted to hole up in the sanctuary of my room and not emerge until the next day. However, our friends D. and P. wanted us to be there and put a lot of love and time into the preparations, although they would have completely understood. So, after an inspiring coffee and brunch date with P., I fought the urge to step back into shadow. (Steve is up for anything--he's flexible with plans.) We visited a card party outlet and bought hats and glasses for the occasion. A kid tried out one of the party noisemakers and Steve and I jumped several inches. I also found a strange pair of sunglasses. (For some reason, I am attracted to funky sunglasses, so I bought them. There's the UV protection too as a bonus.) After selecting the supplies, we proceeded to the line to purchase the items. It was fine, except that this place also makes balloon arrangements. (I can't stand the sound of balloons being blown up, especially the booming noise that it makes when it pops. Yes, I would make a lousy clown.) Anyway, we approached a young man with a cold at the register. Poor dear-- he needed to be home in bed. We were very kind and sympathetic to him and he thanked us and asked us to come back. (A little kindness can really make someone's day better, especially for those who work in food service or retail this time of year.) We left the card party store and headed for the grocery store. We picked up cheese, coke zero, and sangria. (The Oliver brand has a lovely sangria.) The errand was supposed to be quick until we approached the self checkout machines. I can't stand those things. It's a nightmare for those afflicted with ADD. Too many steps and ours was acting up. Anyway, an attendant helped us and we were on our way. Steve and I watched a movie (Ronin) and hung out with the Lady Cats until it was time to get ready for the big night.

Comments

Popular Posts