St. Patrick's Day in the Garden

(Our Garden June 2011 LCS) Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. -- Lao Tzu
This quote, sent to me by Steve, is appropriate for today. Technically, it is still winter and St. Patrick's Day in Northern Indiana. Even though I'm part Irish, I'm not really too enthusiastic about St. Patrick's Day this year. Perhaps because my attention, like most cooped-up midwesterners, is diverted to the allure of the summery weather outside. Mostly, though, especially in recent years, I am attracted to the beauty of an ordinary day. (Except for Mondays, perhaps. Those can be rough.) I reminded myself to play a little today, so I ventured out into the backyard and started planning this year's gardening season. The last two years have proved to be amazing and I want to maintain a gorgeous--and natural--landscape. The summery pre-spring fever hit me so hard that I wanted to plant wildflower seeds today. And technically, they would be okay unless we are hit with snowfall in March or April, and then I have to remember to cover them. (Honestly, that's probably not gonna happen.) I'm ready to plant, and Steve gently said, "Remember, Lolo, it's still technically winter. Give it a little time, and then start planting." He's right, so I refer back to the quote he sent me today: "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." Nothing like a little zen for St. Patrick's Day.

Comments

Popular Posts