Haiku: Poetry Ancient & Modern

I found a gem that I checked out a couple weeks ago: Haiku: Poetry Ancient & Modern. It's an anthology compiled by Jackie Hardy. The book is compact and has one or two haiku on each page. There is also art and graphics included.
Haiku is fun, short, and sweet. In case you don't know or remember, a haiku is an untitled poem that traditionally has five syllables in the first line, seven syllables in the second line, and five syllables in the third line, with a total of seventeen syllables. Of course, you can--and people do-- break up the syllables or disregard the seventeen syllable rule. That's something I adore about haiku and poetry, once I learn the conventions or rules, I can break them if I so choose.
Off to write some haiku! I encourage you to try it. Be warned, it can be addictive. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts