A Writerly Weekend

So far, it's been a writerly weekend full of family,friendship, and fun. I finished a NaNoWriMo novel (50,000+ words) and can now cross that task off the proverbial bucket list. I wrote a novel!!!!!! It's just the beginning. This novel is the first and roughest draft I have ever written,but taming the perfectionist editor within is an accomplishment in itself. Of course, there are many more words to write before I sleep, and then there is the plethora of revisions. But for now, I will add words to the novel and then revise for 2013.

I enjoyed watching people comment on my word count status, and get a kick out of the kind messages (thank you!) and seeing that writerly friends are starting to keep track of their own words. It's easy to do. Just give your story a beginning, middle, and end, and a working title. Feature three main characters, and then watch your story blossom from the seed to a flower. One page is 250 words. If you write an average of one page a day, you will have 365 pages and 91,250 words. That's a good-sized novel. Writers and editors usually go by word count,because that is how a writer is usually paid. NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) tracks progression by word count, and that is how I was able to commit and stick to writing and finishing the first draft. Start posting your word count on Facebook or Twitter. Soon friends and followers will start encouraging and responding, and possibly start their own novels.

So if you're thinking of starting that novel, stop thinking, and start doing. One word at a time, and remember that the first draft is always the worst draft. Now I need to finish the drafts for my writing class. -xoxo Lori

Comments

Popular Posts