Thursday, June 27, 2013
Ceud Mile Failte (A Hundred Thousand Welcomes)
The Scottish Gaelic phrase above was listed with the English version of A Hundred Thousand Welcomes. I am homesick for both Scotland and England. (It's part of my heritage, so that would make sense.)
Steve and I were invited to travel and stay with eight other people from June 11-June 23. It was a journey of many firsts for me and for Steve, although he has been to Europe once before.
1. My first passport: to my amusement and others, resembles a feline named Grumpy Cat.
2. My first experience dealing with customs: leaving and entering the U.S. Fortunately, I did not have to endure a pat-down, but one of my companions did. We made all of our flights.
3. My first overseas and overnight flights. I won't pad this: the flights were rough. It was seven and a half hours for the first flight and over eight hours for the second flight. And the seats were small. The two travels days stink, but the other days you are there are worth the hassle.
4. My first adventure in a British car, riding on the left-hand side of the road. The driver's side was on the right and the passenger's side was on the left. It was interesting. Steve was a great driver.
5. My first castle. Steve and I ended up seeing five medieval Scottish castles.
6. My first trip to Loch Ness. Nessie was sleeping, as we didn't spot her.
7. My first trip to the North Sea. The scenery was breathtaking.
8. My first English pub experience. Love the fact that dogs are allowed and welcomed in pubs.
9. My first fish and chips and a half pint.
10. My first adventure dealing with British currency (pounds).
As I blog about the travels, I will include travel tips that may help you. We traveled with pros, and that has made all the difference.
Isn't it interesting how a simple, one-line post on social media can inspire a person to write more about it on a blog? Yes, that is w...
Hello-- Marimba and Ice is an old friend. I may not visit or write as often as I intend to, but this blog has been here since 2005. We...
Hello-- The lilies are in full bloom in the garden Chez Sigety, so it must be July. A couple of months have passed since the last post, so...
Hello! I'm sitting on the grey sofa in blue pajamas with Moshi and Sakura snoring nearby. Steve's at his semi-monthly game tonight...