Herding Cats



I kid you not. This week has been the week of herding cats at Chez Sigety. Let me explain.

Monday
*I taught class on Monday afternoon from 1-5. When I pulled my car into the driveway, I noticed a sleek gray cat and her five kittens doing a face plant on a hapless lifeless blackbird. They scattered when I stepped out of the car and walked up the front porch into the house.

*The kittens have been burrowing underneath a hole in the side porch by the side of the house. (Note to self: fix the porch!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

*I sent Steve an email, and he arrives home with canned Whiskas food. We put out food and a bowl of water. Mama cat is famished and eats two cans by herself.

*Put a shout out on social networking (Facebook) for assistance.

*Although they are so cute, Steve and I decided we could not keep any of the cats. (We have three cats already.)

*Called a few rescue places. They are all booked this time of year. We do not wish to contact the Humane Society because they are overcrowded. Experiencing mild panic.

Tuesday

*We are half hoping that Mama cat moved the kits during the night, and half hoped that they were still at the house.

*I peer outside the door in the afternoon/evening. Mama Cat is sprawled out on top of Greenie (my Honda Civic) and lounging in the sun.


Wednesday

*Mama cat brought home a tasty mouse (ugh) for breakfast. Kittens are now wandering in the backyard.

*A friend and her daughter came out to look at the furry herd. No one is in sight. We now suspect that kittens are feral.

*A grey kitten curls up on the grey chair on the back deck.

*Our cats are not happy about the situation. There is a lot of growling and hissing.


Thursday

*We discovered that kittens are also bedding down in the engine of our cars.

*Kittens are becoming quite at home. However, when we approach the kittens, Mama cat charges us.

Friday

*Early this morning, Steve spotted Mama Cat prancing up the driveway with a rabbit. Breakfast is served. (Ugh!)

*Steve warned our neighbors (the cool ones)that the kittens and Mama cat are playing in the mulch near their home. Neighbors
have a lead of a feral cat person who may come over.

*I am pet sitting for a friend today. Steve calls me on my cell. He lifts up the hood of his Toyota Prius, and there are at least three kittens nestled behind the engine. He was going to do errands but was stuck at home until he could shoo them out of the car.

*This week has been cat-as-trophic. In hindsight, we will look back and laugh. Steve and I are the crazy cat people, herding cats.

Comments

Popular Posts