Reflections on 2015


Happy New Year! It's after one in the afternoon and I'm still in my pajamas. It's that kind of lazy day. However, I am going to get off the couch later this afternoon and work out to a walking tape. It's a start. I need to get on an exercise program so it is routine and something I don't even think about-- like eating breakfast or flossing. I normally don't like resolutions, but I do want to get healthy-- eat better, lose weight, and gain more energy. There were too many hospital visits this year in our family. We also need to have more fun. Life's too short not to experience more joy.

Despite my lamentations this autumn, 2015 was not all bad by any means. In fact, a lot was accomplished. With the help and unwavering support of my husband, Steve, we accomplished a lot. I co-wrote and published a non-fiction book with Karen Harris. It was risky and controversial because of the title and content. But, it was a book that needed to be born. We send out queries to publish, but we received a couple of rejections and decided that we would do it ourselves.

Karen and I started our own publishing company. Karen and I earned enough income from the book to cover a trip to Boston for a book event, and are still collecting royalties. We were interviewed by The South Bend Tribune. Our ebooks and print books have been purchased nationally and internationally, and live in personal collections, bookstores, and libraries. It was scary, but that was the reason why we needed to pursue our dreams. We just celebrated a year of MV, and we have only scratched the proverbial surface. We will promote and write more in 2016.

Also, I finished up my master's degree in liberal studies in December 2015. Although my thesis defense was in September, the thesis itself needed to be edited for binding purposes. My grade was released in December 2015 (A-!) and soon my diploma will be mailed. This chapter is closing. I am proud of what I have accomplished, and could not have pursued this without the unwavering support of Steve, my professors, my family and extended family, and friends. Thank you. :)

Steve is also writing and submitted an article for publication. I am so proud of his accomplishments. Besides being a great cataloger, librarian, instructor,blogger,colleague, gamer,husband, son, friend, and cat-herder, Steve can also add writer to his list. :)

We've managed to keep our herd of kittehs alive this year. Java celebrated her 17th birthday and she is hanging on. We are monitoring her closely. It's difficult taking this journey with her, but we are so grateful for every day we have with her. She's been on borrowed time for a few years. There's a lot that I can and have learned from the resiliency of an aging animal.

Steve and I took time out of our incredibly hectic schedule (self-imposed on my part, I admit it) and went on a vacation. We are now hooked on cruises. We had an amazing time; it was hell on the waistline, but heaven on the soul. Loved it, loved it, loved it. You know it was a damn good vacation when you come home depressed and wondering why the house isn't rocking us to sleep like the ship.

For 2016 and beyond, I aspire to live an active, calm, creative and peaceful life. Laugh more. Cry less. Spend more time with loved ones.


Wishing you a healthy and peaceful 2016,
-Lori xo

Comments

Popular Posts