Friday Night Poeting: Hay(na)ku


Good evening! I'm not feeling the best and am tired from the week, so I'm happily perched up in my room with a couple of kittehs to keep me company for a poetic night and a poetic posting.

I've been reading the latest version of Poet's Market. Robert Lee Brewer, the editor, includes a fun section on poetic forms. One of the forms I have been working on is called Hay(na)ku. According to Brewer, this poetic form was created in 2003 by a poet named Eileen Tabios. I have not heard of Eileen Tabios or Hay(na)ku before, so I will be looking for her works.

Brewer explains the three-line poem by Tabios. There is one word in the first line, two words in the second line, and three words in the third line. That's it. Anything else goes in the poem. It seems like Haiku-lite to me, and Hay(na)ku is so much fun to write!

Here are a few poems that I came up with after reading about this new form:


winter
solstice moonrise
colder than frostbite.

February
rainstorm,stop
teasing the flowers!


February
second day
groundhog's lost shadow.


Feel free to try some of your own Hay(na)ku. I would love to see your poems! Feel free to comment with your poem/s. Have a good weekend! :)

Comments

Popular Posts