Swan Song Thursday


It’s Thursday.
Not just any Thursday; I deem this day as Swan Song Thursday.

Tuesday was my last day teaching composition and tonight was my last night teaching speech.
I found out on Tuesday night; the two classes I was supposed to teach next week were taken away because someone deemed my four degrees, six years of teaching experience, and writing credentials unworthy of teaching 100-level undergraduate composition and speech classes. What was acceptable last week is now considered null and void.

So, I packed up the cubicle farm and after 9:00 p.m., I called it a day. I really would have liked a true swan song—at least a month’s notice to fulfill my last teaching assignments. Instead, I get bitten and the proverbial rug is pulled out from under my feet.

And then I remember, swans can be mean.
Not the people I worked with and worked for—I love my academic family. It’s not my supervisors who caused this or necessarily the main office. It’s the cold, calculated swans who believe in numbers and dollars and cents and bureaucracy. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

But, swans are unpredictable.
And so is the life of an expendable adjunct.


Comments

Carol S Rusinek said…
That's awful Lori. It happens to a lot of well educated and dedicated people in many fields. Many companies and academic administrators only see the bottom line and making money and don't think about what really counts-- excellent, well educated employees. It makes me angry when people are are laid off when other non essential services can be eliminated. Who will suffer most will be your students. I really admire you Lori. You are well educated, a very dedicated and enthusiastic teacher and librarian and a very creative poet and author. I'm glad you are my friend and you inspire me.

I know you're feeling very disappointed and hurt right now (I would be too), But just think of this as an opportunity for better things to come. I am confident that another person or company/academic university will welcome all your wonderful talents.

I'll be sending good thoughts your way! Your friend, Carol
marimba50 said…
Thank you, Carol! I am grateful for your friendship and support. Xoxo
marimba50 said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts