Memorial Monday

I like it when it storms on Memorial Day. It's Mother Nature's way of showing respect for fallen soldiers and for loved ones who have passed away. I believe the rain forces people to slow down a bit and reflect. I wrote the following poem today on the way home from Gravel Lake. Memorial Day, Chamberlain Cemetary, 2010 To my right, in the distance in the family of trees a bird serenades us high-low, high-low with a mourning song To my left, in the distance in the gray-white sky thunder warns us rumble-hum, rumble-hum with a warning song Directly in front of us on the ledge of the gray headstone several stones accompany the stone I left for her last year stones attempt to seal gaping holes left right in the torn hearts of those like mine who love her.

Comments

Popular Posts