Flutes and Border's

I dedicate this blog post to my sister, because watching this group tonight reminded me of her. I love social networking. One of my neighbors posted on FB that she was performing with her ensemble tonight. Steve and I thought it would be fun to go to Border's and watch the performance. The ensemble, better known as SAGWA Valley Flute Association and Flute Choir, consisted of musicians who perform up to ten shows a year in various venues. I learned tonight that a flute choir has to have piccolo flutes, C flutes (the one you usually see in concerts), alto flutes, and bass flutes. The ensemble dedicated one of the songs to a couple who celebrated their 62-year wedding anniversary. Sixty-two years! It was touching. Some of the music was familiar like Vivaldi and others were new to me such as Ricky Lombardo and Gary Schocker. For more information, please visit their website: http://www.myspace.com/sagwavalleyflute. Listening to the flute choir brought back memories. My sister played the flute (and she was awesome!) She participated (mostly unwillingly) in the drum-and-fife wars that erupted in our bedrooms upstairs while we were supposed to be practicing. The sound wars usually resulted in simulanteous howls of irritated parents and Brutus the family dog.

Comments

Popular Posts