The Only Frets I want are on a Guitar; or, Strumming by Candlelight


I experienced my first guitar lesson tonight.
I have to keep from saying "drum lessons". It's a force of habit.
I'm not giving up drums and percussion by any means; I'm adding acoustic guitar(and perhaps bass)
to my music repertoire. Once I learn how to play acoustic guitar, I would like to pursue songwriting.
Poetry and lyrics are somewhat similar. It's storytelling, really.

Lately, I have been "fretting" a lot. I have been struggling with anxiety and
depression. The extreme seasons (summer and winter) are the hardest, but
it passes. Another reason to pick up the guitar is that it relaxes me to strum and play notes.
Anything. Just holding the guitar is a comfort of sorts.

Steve bought me a guitar about a year ago (or more), and I literally had to wipe off
the dust to pack it up and play it tonight. Mike is my guitar teacher. He's a little older
than I am, and he's super cool. He is teaching me my first song: "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."
I'm looking forward to performing for preschoolers at work. That's the first plan.

The first lesson involved a few chords. I need to strengthen my fingertips in order
to strum and make a decent sound. I'm excited to say that I am earning my first callus on my
right thumb.

Playing music, even badly, gives me a sense of hope.
Thank you for reading!

Comments