As I Turn 49; Reflections on 48

In less than two hours, I will turn 49. 
If you want to be technical, I turn 49 at 8:02 p.m. tomorrow, but whatever. 
I'll rip the proverbial band aid off at midnight and call it a day. 

Like the other years post-Mom, 48 was rough,
but there were fleeting moments and bright spots. (Lots of bright spots.)
This COVID crap is raining on my birthday parade, 
but family and friends are helping me celebrate.
It's been a lovely weekend and I am forever grateful. 

Carefully. 
Distancing. 
Fewer people.  

As I turn 49, I am mourning the life we had collectively before St. Patrick's Day. 
As I turn 49, I am at the cusp of two different types of decades: the 2010's and the 40's. 
These cusps are the confluence of unique times and experiences, good and otherwise. 

As I turn 49, I wonder what the year will bring. 
As I turn 49, my birthday wish is to be writing a post 
similar to this one a year later, 
because it means 
I will have survived this pandemic
so far, so good,

And that is my birthday wish
for all of us. 




Comments