First Snowfall

                                                      (Hard to see here, but it was snowing today.) 

Happy November! 

First snowfall in northern Indiana. I tried to trek my usual route around the Riverwalk and the wind nearly knocked me over. After 10 minutes, I turned around, frustrated to turn back; it was miserable outside, I didn't feel well, and I wasn't bundled up enough. So, I trekked back inside and recorded it on my WW app. Ten minutes of intense walking is better than nothing. 

More importantly, I made myself a cup of hot coffee instead of reaching for a wine glass. That's a win. Like the 10 minute walk, it's the small wins that will add up to sustained health. By the way, it's been 45 days; my official sobriety date is September 17. I asked a friend recently why the hell did I decide to cut out alcohol in one of the most depressing and somber years in recent history? My friend wisely responded that the pandemic made me realize how far down that damned rabbit hole I had fallen and saw the scribbles, in a scripted, seductive font, on the walls. There's too much to lose at the bottom of that hole; too much that I hold dear and meaningful; alcohol, particularly wine, was the frenemy living at the bottom, with a rope tied around the bottle I was holding onto dear life and didn't realize how far I had fallen until I looked up and could barely see light, but I noticed it, and cut the ties before the seduction completely fooled me. 

(*insert serenity prayer here*) 

I thank God for a safety net of family and friends. If you are reading this, you are most likely in one of those categories.   Have a safe and healthy week; I plan to be back sooner than later.  

Comments

Marci Ullery said…
You are beautiful I all ways, heart, mind, body and soul. I love you!!!
marimba50 said…
Thank you so much! I love you!