Caterpillars, Pupae, Butterflies, and Eric Carle

 




    On Tuesday, June 1, we are launching butterflies to celebrate the beginning of the Summer Reading Challenge at my library. The specific butterflies are called the Painted Lady Butterfly. They arrived as little caterpillars in mid-May, around Mother's Day, and we have been watching them grow in the Kid's Department. They ate like crazy, crawled up to the top of the enclosure, and made little hook shapes at the top. (I also have twelve caterpillars at home as a back-up plan. I hope they hatch by June.)

Then, I gently moved the pupae to the butterfly enclosures. Some of them wriggled, some of them were still. (From what I read, that happens to keep away predators.)  I spritzed water on the pupae--not too much, though.  Over a weekend, twelve butterflies hatched. Now I had the challenge of containing and keeping twelve butterflies happy (and alive) until we release them on June 1. 

Since there were six butterflies in each enclosure and they seemed crowded,  I purchased a larger enclosure for them (I refer to it as the condo) and put a plant in there for some greenery.  There were two places for the sugar water nectar to be enjoyed by our fluttering guests; I also gently spritzed their wings with room temperature water to keep them hydrated.  

I am glad we are not launching them until Tuesday, as the weather dipped down to below 50 degrees tonight. (Butterflies like weather above 55 degrees to thrive.) 

Near the butterfly enclosure we had caterpillar and butterfly books, many of them written and illustrated by Eric Carle. He is one of my favorite children's authors. After the pandemic, I was hoping to travel and meet him someday. Sadly, he recently passed, but his books will live in the hearts of many, including mine. Fly free, Eric Carle. You will be missed. 



Comments