Standing at the Top of the Well

  

                                         (Drawing on white linen tablecloth with fabric markers.

    Happy New Year! 

    I woke up grateful today: grateful that I woke up, and grateful that I wasn't sick from last night's drinking, because that drink didn't happen. I woke up calm and peaceful.

    One year, three months, and fifteen days ago was a life-changing, lifesaving pivotal decision. and I'm so grateful. I'm so grateful to lock up that proverbial cellar of wine and other destructive spirits and hurl the key far away into the dark well where I once stumbled and caught myself dangling over the view of the wasteland at the bottom. The long, arduous climb towards the light wasn't easy.  I'm now standing over the top of the well, in the light, even though the intensity sometimes hurts. I have to continue to use caution to avoid tripping and falling back into the well, because the key is always there to unlock the progress and strides made to be a better version of myself, and more importantly, better service to others. 

Comments

Popular Posts