A Letter to Kim

 

My Dear Sweet Kim, 

I'm writing this letter because I want to be sure other people have a chance to express how much they love you tomorrow at your funeral service. Honestly, I'll probably be too broken to say anything tomorrow, so I'm expressing my words here. 

Steve took me to the funeral home today, where we shared condolences and hugs. It's been a privilege to meet and know some of your beautiful family and am looking forward to meeting others, even though not under the circumstances, of course. Like you, your parents were thoughtful to extend the visitation from 2 p.m.-7 p.m. to give people a chance to visit. 

Your sister, Maureen, also expressed kindness by posting online on April 30 so I could say goodbye to you in person. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to see you one more time and share with you how much you are loved. 

I also wanted to thank you for entrusting me to teach your classes this semester. Thank you for being so organized with the hybrid class that I literally stepped in and picked up where you left. Even at your sickest, you still mustered the energy to answer student questions in March. Your commitment to our students is noted, and your mentoring and strength, despite a horrific cancer, inspires me to become a better person and teacher. In tough situations this semester, I thought, "What would Kim do?" 

As I finish up final grades, I reflect back on the semester and cherish the memories we had. Despite your pain, you were always kind to the hospital staff, and they loved you back. I'll remember reading Spare and watching you relax and take your mind off your illness. (Prince Harry did attend his father's coronation after all, but took off quickly.) I'll miss sending you silly quotes from the goat book to make you laugh. Finally, I'll also miss your online presence. You were always such a support, and I will miss your posts. I will miss you. I already do. 

Please send Dora my love, too. I'm sure you two are causing some serious mischief up there. Misbehave appropriately, and I'll see you again someday, and when I do, I can read you the rest of Prince Harry's book. 

I love you, 

Lori 


Comments

Marci ullery said…
That was beautiful❤️